Mac Switches to Intel: What does this mean for us?
I'm a little fuzzy this - I have never claimed to be a know-it-all when it comes to computers and I am trying to figure what [if anything] the switch to Intel processors will mean for access technologies [specifically software applications]. I know someone out there will correct me on this should I be amiss.
From what I have read and heard, the switch to Intel chips should allow Macs to more efficiently run Windows programs than at present using Virtual PC. This should also be a 'native' process rather than having to install any sort of a bridge program. It is too early to tell what impact this will have on the AT market - but it should be a lively topic of conversation at ATIA [Assistive Technology Industry Association] in a couple of weeks. At least I hope it will get people talking - but with this industry - who knows? The main concern on the blogs and such centers around how current Mac software will behave on the new chips - this is especially of concern to the graphics crowd.
I have not used a Mac in years - my first personal computer being a Performa 636 that was well used and abused in grad school. But my workplace at the time [and all subsequent employers] used PC's with Windows. I also came to learn about what access technologies were available for both systems and it just made sense to have a home computer akin to my work computers.
Typically I get a bit anxious when students in need of technical assistance inform me they have a Mac. There simply is not as many options to assist them as there are for Windows - and those that are available tend to be second-rate afterthoughts. Fortunately there is at least a Mac based DAISY player [KatiePlayer] on the market for that particular outlet. I would provide details on how well this works but I honestly have not [as yet] done an install. We have only recently purchased a few copies of KatiePlayer from RFB&D and will be installing it on student Powerbooks for this semester. I am hoping that the switch to Intel will eventually allow any Windows based AT to be used on a Mac - that would be nice.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home