Friday, November 11, 2005

AHG Day #4

Day four of AHG and I am finally finding my way around the hotel.

Janice Carter did a nice presentation on Bookshare.org. Much of the information was old news to me but there were enough newbies in the crowd to make it worth their while and there was even some new info of interest to those who have been around for a while. Big news is that some publishers are coming around to the Benetech model and providing eText to Bookshare. O'Really is providing XML versions of their books under an agreement that has apparently been around for a couple of years and is now coming to fruition. Janice mentioned another publisher who has recently come aboard - but until they start producing books the name is under wraps.

I also sat in on one of the EASI Track panels "Current Trends in Electronic Books". It was very informative to hear from some of the top people in the field for a snapshot of where they think we are and where they think we are going.

My presentation "Geeklopedia: from blog to wiki - a primer of digital terminology" went quite well [thank you...]. It was as much fun to present as it was to produce and I plan to keep my slides up to date for the possibility of presenting again sometime.

A note on meals - for those who are interested - both yesterday and today lunch was buffet at the conference. The Keynote speaker was Henry Claypool. I'd heard of him before this but knew little of his work. I must say I am now a fan. Dinner last night with the ATHEN crew at a local watering hole.

Overall a very worthwhile week in Boulder. I very much look forward to attending again next year [and hopefully for years into the future]. Cheers to the AHG staff!

1 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, thank you for sharing all the news about AHG. The presentations were wonderfully practical and I definitely feel it is an event not to be missed. "Thank you to everyone for all the support and incredibly informative talks." I have put my presentation up on the LexDis website along with a MS Word document that has links related to those presenting, really for folks in the UK, but it may be useful for others. I hasten to add there are no original presentations from AHG, other than those provided at the time. Many thanks again. Best wishes E.A.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home