More Blogs to add to Dann's List
Great list Dann has below, and I wanted to add a couple that I visit regularly, as well.
One is the Access Ability blog, put out by Ron Graham. Ron usually posts at least three or four times a week and specializes in issues for the visually impaired. Not all of his posts are about that topic, but most of them are. He's a great resource, too, and very available if you have questions. His most recent post talks about his love for DECtalk. I just surplussed the last of ours from this campus about a year ago. How times change!
The other is Lon Thornburg's personal blog, No Limits to Life. Occasionally No Limits to Learning and No Limits to Life have the same information, but most of the time they are different enough that I find a benefit to reading both. I found No Limits to Life before I found No Limits to Learning. Lon has suffered a traumatic brain injury that has left him disabled. His posts are general in nature and cover wide aspects of assistive technology and some low-tech solutions as well.
I also read Engel's Ensights, a personal blog from Marcus Engel, well-known public speaker. Marcus was blinded in a horrific drunken driving crash that should have killed him. He is from my home state (Missouri) and lived near our campus for many years. He now lives in Florida but travels all over the country to speak to colleges, high schools, corporate groups, you name it. His personal blog gives some pretty good insight into Marcus' attitude, and also talks about how he accomplishes his goals through adaptive technology. He's a good read. I had the great pleasure of getting to hear him speak two years ago at our campus' Disability Awareness Day. I also produced his book After This in audio and text format for some of our students.


2 Comments:
Thanks for the mention!
It was ironic that you mentioned Marcus in that same post. As you probably already know, he and I are good friends. I had just emailed him when I returned to read your post and found him mentioned here as well. He just purchased a Victor Reader Stream and I’m talking him through some of the startup processes he’ll want to do.
I knew you were at St. Louis CC, but weren’t certain that you knew who Marc was, much less whether you knew his story or read his blog.
Cool stuff, there, Susabelle!
Thanks for mentioning and linking my No Limits blogs. They are a joy to write. I had a stroke that left me with a MILD disability but I am for the most part carrying an invisible one which sometimes creates frustration with others. I am glad you find the blogs worthwhile.
Lon
Post a Comment
<< Home